How to Reset the Anti-Theft System on Your Ford
Your Ford Anti-Theft System is one of the best features on your new Ford. Instead of having to buy an expensive aftermarket anti-theft system, the Ford anti-theft system comes already installed and ready to keep your vehicle safe in Collinsville. But what happens when the system goes off accidentally? Do you know how to reset the anti-theft system on your Ford? It’s relatively easy, and you can do it yourself with this guide from Auffenberg Ford North in O'Fallon.
How Do I Turn Off My Ford Anti-Theft System
Your Ford Anti-Theft System is designed to activate when someone tries to start your car with a false key or some other nefarious method. The system detects the false key and shuts off the power supply to the engine, so the vehicle won’t start. If there’s an attempted theft in Fairview Heights you’ll need to know how to reset the anti-theft system on your Ford, so you can drive it. There are several ways to turn off your Ford Anti-Theft System:
- Insert the key into the driver’s side door lock.
- Turn the key once, but not all the way to unlock the door. Leave the key in this position for 40-60 seconds. This gives the system time to recognize your key.
- Do this again, but turn the key in the opposite direction.
- Remove the key from the door, get into your Ford, and start the engine. The system should be reset.
- Check your vehicle’s battery and make sure it’s not the problem. Sometimes a dead battery can cause the same issues as a Ford Anti-Theft System that needs to be reset.
- Insert your key into the ignition and turn it to the position that turns on the electrical system. If the display behind your steering wheel has a blinking or lit anti-theft light, proceed to the next step.
- If the anti-theft light has turned off, leave the key in this position for 2-3 minutes. You should be able to start the engine.
- If this process doesn’t work the first time, try it a few more times.
No matter which method you use to reset your Ford Anti-Theft System, take a minute to examine the locks on all your doors to make sure they weren’t damaged during a theft attempt. If you notice anything suspicious about your door locks, schedule an appointment with our service department as soon as possible.
Learn More About Ford Technology with Auffenberg Ford North!
Now that you know how to reset your anti-theft system on your Ford, learn more about the new technology in your Ford! From your Ford Anti-Theft System to the connectivity of FordPass and Sync, learn how to get the most out of powerful Ford technology with Auffenberg Ford North near Granite City in O'Fallon.